The station was built in 1891 by the Midland Railway to support the growing rural town of Gingin and proved to be the life line between Midland and the town.
Not only did it carry passengers and transported livestock and produce but in return brought the necessities and mail to the rural community of the Gingin Shire. The station also included barracks for the station master.
In the early 1900’s the steam trains ran through and stopped at Gingin on the route between Perth and Moora. During peak times of the day, the Jones family of the Granville Hotel ran the refreshment rooms at the station. An extension of a kitchen was then built in 1930. These were later demolished when the station closed. The trains ceased in 1976 and the building was then closed up until Westrail leased it to R.V. & P. Diggins.
Initial restoration of the station was conducted by Richard and Pauline Diggins who over a period of 20 years spent their own funds to keep the building in good repair.
Then from 2012 a more intensive restoration project on the station was carried out by the Lions Club of Gingin/Chittering with the generous aid of numerous grants and assistance of local help. Within the station you will find tourist information, local history displays and a Gallery.
The station is located at Lot 500 Jones Street, Gingin (opposite the Gingin Hotel).
Open hours: Closed until further notice.